|Season 01, Episode 23 (12A)|
|Air Date||January 10, 1998|
|Previous||The Great Can Drive|
|Next||Kids in the Mist|
|Written By||Jonathan Greenberg|
|Directed By||Chuck Sheetz and Susie Dietter|
When Principal Prickly discovered that Mikey sang exactly like the real Robert Goulet (who used to portray Mikey's talented singing voice), he appoints a beautiful, young music teacher Miss Salamone. Mikey becomes attracted to her and is devastated when he walks in on her becoming engaged.
When Brandon swallows a bee while singing the Star Spangled Banner, Prickly tries to find a kid who can sing as great as Brandon. He overhears Mikey singing in the bathroom and is instantly impressed by his talent. But Mikey tries to object as he only sounds good in the bathroom. Mikey is devastated at having to take singing but when he sees his music teacher for the first time, he becomes attracted to her and takes the lessons. He sounds horrible in the music room, so they move to the male restroom where Mikey hits the high notes. Lessons then continue in the bathroom, which has now been transformed to a private music room. Mikey then improves so that he does not need to sing in the bathroom and becomes popular at school. Only though he later spills the beans on his attraction to Miss Salamone to his friends. Not believing his friends and convinced that she loves him too, Mikey runs to the room and is devastated upon seeing Miss Salamone getting engaged to a tenor from Costa Rica named Antonio. When offered a handshake by him, Mikey runs away in tears.
On the day of the Spring Fling, Mikey is nowhere to be seen. Miss Salamone finds him in the male bathroom, frightening another boy in the process, and Mikey can't keep his jealousy in. Miss Salamone convinces him to sing and he eventually shows up and sings the song he sang in the bathroom instead of the national anthem, which moves everyone.
- According to T.J., the gang were outside at the beginning for Van Buren's birthday. Later in the episode, it's mentioned that Mikey has to sing for the Spring Fling. This is incorrect; Martin Van Buren's birthday is December fifth, which isn't during the spring. (Of course, it could be some other person with the last name "Van Buren."
- Coloring Error: When Spinelli is first shown sipping on her soda, her lips aren't drawn.
- Brandon the Singing Kid makes his first appearance.
- This episode portrays Mikey as one of only two of the main six characters (the other being Spinelli) to develop a crush on someone.
- This was the first time Mikey's singing voice was heard.
- A clip of this episode was shown on a behind-the-scenes feature on the DVD of Recess: School's Out.
- Miss Salamone would later make a cameo in Lawson and His Crew during Kurst the Worst and Randall's Ballet Performance.
- This episode is similar to the Rocko's Modern Life episode, "The Lounge Singer", where Rocko finds out that his friend, Filburt, is a talented lounge singer.
- The title of this episode is the name of the music award show, The Voice.
- T.J. Detweiler - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - (Speaking) Jason Davis
- Mikey Blumberg (Singing) - Robert Goulet
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster - April Winchell
- Principal Prickly - Dabney Coleman
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Miss Salamone - Glenne Headley
- Brandon - Michael Shulman
- Antonio - Jess Harnell
- Kid #1/Kid #2/Kid #4 - Ryan O'Donohue
- Kid #3 - Anndi McAfee