|Speedy, We Hardly Knew Ye|
|Season 01, Episode 12 (6B)|
|Air Date||October 18, 1997|
|Previous||My Fair Gretchen|
|Next||I Will Kick No More Forever|
When the class hamster, Speedy, dies, the students decide to hold a funeral for him.
Speedy, the class hamster, passes away, much to the depression of the students except Spinelli. They decide to throw a funeral for him out of honor.
The funeral is continually interrupted as previous students of Third Street School come to Speedy's funeral. Spinelli even ends up getting emotional over the hamster's death. As the funeral proceeds more and more students, past and present, show up for the ceremony, some going as far back as forty years. Each new narrative that is told of Speedy's storied life is different and contains myriad variations of Speedy's appearance. Miss Grotke eventually confesses that there are numerous hamsters that are called Speedy, and every time one has died it is replaced before the children can notice. Despite learning of this deception the students of Third Street, past and present, still decide to throw the funeral and each of them reminisce of a Speedy from their generation.
- This episode features the only death in the series.
- The class doesn't seem to own a Speedy for the rest of the series, however in Recess: School's Out, Gus mentions the class having a pet gerbil.
- T.J. mentions a teacher named Mr. Germain, which is a refrence to the show's co-creator, Paul Germain.
- King Bob declares the grave of Speedy, "The Tomb of the Unknown Speedy". This is a reference to "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier", which is located at Arlington Cemetery in Virginia.
- Sam is voiced by Ryan O`Donohue in this episode instead of Klee Bragger.
- This is the first episode where Ashley T. is voiced by Ashley Johnson.
- T.J., Vince, and Gretchen are shown crying for the first time in this episode.
- Mayor Fitzhugh makes his first appearance in this episode.
- The episode's title is a reference to the Irish anti-war song, "Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye".
- This episode was mentioned in the movie, Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street.
- Clips of this episode were included in a 2001 Disney's One Saturday Morning promo.
- This is the fifth appearance of King Bob.
- T.J. Detweiler/Kid #3 - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler/Ashley Tomassia/Kid #1 - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Sam/Dave/Kid #2 - Ryan O'Donohue
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAfee
- Ashley Boulet - Francesca Smith
- Ashley Quinlan - Rachel Crane
- Vic Vermichelli/High School Student - Erik von Detten
- Bertha - Tress MacNeille
- Mayor Fitzhugh - Ronnie Schell