|Speedy, We Hardly Knew Ye|
|Season 01, Episode 12 (6B)|
|Air Date||October 18, 1997|
|Previous||My Fair Gretchen|
|Next||I Will Kick No More Forever|
Speedy, the class hamster, passes away, much to the depression of the students except Spinelli. They decide to throw a funeral for him out of honour.
The funeral is continually arupted as previous students of Third Street come to Speedy's funeral. Confusion ensures that his appearance varied during each of the generations although Ms Grotke confesses that various hamsters are called Speedy as each deceased one is replaced. Despite shocked of this trick, they still decide to throw the funeral and each of them reminisce a Speedy from their generation.
- The class doesn't seem to own a Speedy for the rest of the series, however in Recess: School's Out, Gus mentions the class having a pet gerbil.
- TJ mentions a teacher named Mr. Germain, which is a refrence to the show's co-creator, Paul Germain.
- King Bob declares the grave of Speedy, "The Tomb of the Unknown Speedy". This is a reference to "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier", which is located at Arlington Cemetery in Virginia.
- Sam is voiced by Ryan O`Donohue in this episode instead of Klee Bragger.
- This is the first episode where Ashley T. is voiced by Ashley Johnson.
- T.J., Vince, and Gretchen are shown crying for the first time in this episode.
- Mayor Fitzhugh makes his first appearance in this episode.
- The episode's title is a refrence to the Irish anit-war song, "Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye".
- T.J. Detweiler/Kid #3 - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler/Ashley Tomassia/Kid #1 - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Sam/Dave/Kid #2 - Ryan O'Donohue
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAfee
- Ashley Boulet - Francesca Smith
- Ashley Quinlan - Rachel Crane
- Vic Vermichelli/High School Student - Erik von Detten
- Bertha - Tress MacNeille
- Mayor Fitzhugh - Ronnie Schell