A rainstorm causes the kids to have indoor recess, much to everyone's horror.
As the kids run off to recess, Ms Finster stops them, to inform them that it is cancelled due to rain. They are herded into the cafeteria, and Finster tells them that only sanctioned play is allowed. The gang believe that the storm cannot last for long, but Butch tells of the "Storm of 89", which lasted for five days, and turned the kids into the famous "Zombie Class of 89", due to lack of enthusiasm.
As the days pass, the kids slowly begin to become more agitated, turning on each other. At one point, they even beg Ms Grotke not to go to recess. By Day Five, as Butch warned, the kids start "vegging out", with no motivation or energy.
However, as a leaky ceiling lets through rain that drops on T.J.'s face, he realizes that the rain is just water. He sheds his jacket, shoes and socks, and readies himself to go outside. He appeals to the other kids, but only the other members of the Recess Gang agree. Making their way outside, they have great fun, splashing in the puddles and mud, and dancing in the rain.
As Finster unsuccessfully tries to convince them back inside, the clouds part, and the sun comes out. All the kids run outside to celebrate, but moments later, the bells ring. The gang tells the other kids of how great an experience it was, but as they head back in, it turns out that they have all developed colds.
- Mickey Mouse's dog, Pluto, can be seen in one part of T.J.'s nightmare.
- Even though The Gang went outside to play in the rain, Spinelli was the only one with her socks while the rest were barefoot.
- This was the only episode written by Lane Raichert.
- T.J. Detweiler - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler/Kid #2 - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster - April Winchell
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Randall Weems/Dave - Ryan O`Donohue
- Butch/Kayton Shept - Kath Soucie
- Ashley Armbruster/Kid #3 - Anndi McAfee
- Hustler Kid - Michael Shulman
- Kid #1 - Klee Bragger