- "There's no telling what the future holds, besides rainbows and happiness"
- ―Mikey in Big Ol' Mikey
In the episode Bonky Fever it is shown that and the rest of the gang try to stop it. In his birthday party, once the gang thinks he has stopped the Bonky nonsense they all see a party full of Bonky things and toys. But thanks to the gang Mikey founds out it is his mother in a Bonky costume and does eventually stop showing his love for Bonky.
He is a talented singer. He believed he cannot sing anywhere apart from the bathroom. Until Principal Prickly and Miss Finster got him a private music teacher who helped him feel confident in singing at other places. She trained him for the Spring Fling, which he would succeed in and do everyone proud.
Mikey is a big chubby boy wearing a white T-shirt and brown pants. He has blonde hair just like Gus.
Many think that Mikey is a bully just because of his height, but, as once described by T.J. Detweiler, "he wouldn't hurt a fly". There is a hidden agenda about Mikey, and that is his love for "Bonky the Dinosaur", a dinosaur similar to Barney the dinosaur loved by Kindergarteners.
Relationships with other members of the gang
T.J. Detweiler T.J. is good friends with Mikey. In "The Break-up", T.J. says he "appreciates his insane spiritual gifts". However he is sometimes embarrassed by Mikey's behavior. In "Tucked In Mikey", after Mikey read a poem inspired by Menlo, T.J. claimed "for once, it didn't embarrass me". He also was a little embarrassed at Mikey's comment that the 5th and 6th grader's club was a "rainbow hug of togetherness". But, T.J. respects Mikey despite his behavior, as seen in the end of the episode "Rumor Mill".
Mikey and Gretchen rarely interact. It remains to be seen the status of their friendship. However, during the episode My Fair Gretchen, Mikey falls to the ground and dramatically shouts his anguish after the gang is informed that Gretchen will be leaving for a different school. Also during this episode, Mikey is the one that thinks of a plan to get Gretchen out of leaving. This indicates that they are friends, at some level, but just don't interact much.
Mikey looks up to Vince, which is the focus of the episode "Copycat Kid". Mikey wishes he could be "cool" like Vince and be sporty (and was quite capable of shooting baskets in the episode), until Vince copies him. In the end Mikey realizes the value of himself as an individual. The two remain good friends afterward.
Mikey and Spinelli are polar opposites. Mikey is large and peaceful, while Spinelli is small and more violent. Mikey's sincerity and calm demeanor sometimes get in the way with Spinelli's attitude ("Gus's Last Stand", "Rumor Mill") The two share a rare moment of friendship in the episode "Dance Lessons", where Spinelli puts aside her tough attitude for Mikey's sake. She also was ready to defend Mikey when Randall made jokes about him in "Stand Up Randall", which Mikey appreciated but said it wasn't necessary.
Mikey is better friends with Gus than any of the other members. The two are often seen taking the same side on things (Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade, "The Candidates"). They have offended each other occasionally ( "The Break-up", "Germ Warfare") but were quick to forgive one another.
- His singing voice was performed by late Robert Goulet.
- Mikey is the only member of the main six whose birthday has been celebrated in an episode, which was "Bonkey Fever". Gretchen mentions her birthday party in "The Girl Was Trouble", however, it was only a flashback.
- Mikey is based on Paul Germain's friend back in elementary school.
- According to "To Finster with Love", Mikey weighs 110 pounds.
- In the Arabic dub, his name is changed to Magdy [مجدي].
- Mikey has had the second most episodes focused on him out of the entire cast, after T.J.
- Mikey has been in every episode of the series.
- His pee wee pal was Zedd.
- He rarely gets angry.
- He is the only one in the gang to be suspended from school.
- He sang the star spangled banner.
- He likes to dance and has been in Madame Pavlova's dance classes for quite a while.
|The Recess Wiki has a collection of images about Mikey Blumberg|