|Season 03, Episode 05|
|Air Date||September 25, 1999|
|Previous||A Career to Remember|
Kindergarten Derby is the fifth episode of Recess's third season which was first broadcast on September 25, 1999.
It's the 25th annual running of the Kindergarten Derby, and every one of the older kids is excited about it; everyone except Mikey, who is still upset over what happened to him when he ran in the Kindergarten Derby, and believes that the playground tradition of the Derby is wrong.
When King Bob was selecting a kid to sponsor for the race, Mikey called out for him to end the tradition, but King Bob ignores him and selects a kid named Gilbert, then the Ashleys pick a kid, and even Mikey's friends picked a kid, but Mikey didn't. While sitting at a table at recess, Mikey meets a kid called Tubby, who wants him to be his trainer for the race, and Mikey reluctantly agrees. He later revealed that he did not complete the Derby, and was the only kid in the history to not do so.
After a few hours of training, the race would soon begin, and when it came time to bet on the race, Mikey initially was going to place a bet of one Winger-Dinger, but when everyone laughed at him and made fun of Tubby, Mikey angrily bet 37 Winger-Dingers on Tubby. Then the race began, and Tubby was off to a standing start, way behind the other kids, but unlike Mikey, when he got to the water part of the course, he walked right through it, and when he got to Clown Slalom, he barreled his way through the clowns instead of avoiding them, but when he got to the Valley of Distraction, Tubby kept going and he eventually catches up to Gilbert and wins the race and uses his wish to force King Bob to end the derby, making Mikey very happy.
- This is the first appearance of Gilbert
- This is the third time we see one of the main six kids in kindergarten.
- The Kindergarten Derby in this episode was the final derby at the school (1997-1998), and has been going on for 25 years.
- This episode was part of the DTV movie Recess: All Growed Down.
- This episode was paired up with "A Career to Remember" outside the US.
- T.J. Detweiler - Andrew Lawrence
- Vince LaSalle - Ricky D'Shon Colins
- Ashley Spinelli/Kid #3 - Pamela Segall-Aldon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg/Tubby - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- King Bob - Toran Caudel
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAffee
- Ashley Boulet - Francesca Smith
- Ashley Quinland - Rachel Crane
- Hustler Kid - Michael Shulman
- Captain Sticky - E.G. Daily
- Gilbert/Cindy - Kath Soucie
- King Bob's Guard/Kid #2 - Erik von Detten
- Jordan - Patrick Renna
- Jerome/Sound Effects Boy/Kid #1 - Justin Shenkarow