Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "What happened to the pathetic little pushover kid we used to love and respect so much?"
- ―Spinelli to Gus
Gustav Patton "Gus" Griswald is one of the six main characters and was originally the newest member of the Recess gang, although it is revealed in Recess: All Growed Down that he actually knew the gang in kindergarten. Gus is American of Polish descent.
Gus is a good-natured, if occasionally naive, boy, as his recent attendance at Third Street made him aware of the school's traditions such as the kindergarten derby. He is also a master at dodgeball and has never been beaten under a pseudonym of El Diablo (Spanish for "The devil"). During his tenure at an old school he attended, he gave up on dodgeball after an incident in which he accidentally threw a ball at a small boy, leaving the boy too afraid to go the playground.
Gus often calls his Dad "Sir". Gus sometimes is paranoid and usually power goes to his head. In "King Gus" he became King Of The Playground and he began bossing the other children around and creating a 'cookie tax'. In "Germ Warfare" he wanted to get rid of germs and disinfect the world, thinking that all germs are evil, which put him in conflict with Mikey, who treated germs as friends.
Gus is slender and is the shortest of the group. He has a short crop of blond hair in the fashion of a marine cut like his father. He is usually dressed in a green shirt, dark green pants, brown shoes (marine uniform colors). He also wears grey square-shaped glasses.
Relationships with other members of the gang
T.J. is a sort of older brother figure to Gus. He is usually the first to stand up for Gus against bullies or teachers. He also gives him advice in "Gus and Misdemeanors". Gus, on the other hand, usually follows whatever T.J. says, and is used to taking orders from him. T.J. has said Gus inspires him in "The Break-up".
Spinelli and Gus don't interact often but are shown to care for each other in a number of episodes. Spinelli is shown to bully him of him being weak and a Scaredy cat, like in 'A Genius Among Us", She said "How can I get this Ball into the hands of someone I can smear", handed the ball to Gus, and chased him.
Vince and Gus don't interact as much as they do with other members of the gang. They were shown to do a project together in "Good Ole T.J."
While Gus and Gretchen don't interact as often as she does with the other students, but at times, she's shown to act as somewhat of a "big sister" figure to him, such as in Recess: School's Out the evidence of this is seen in "Lawson and his Crew". It's shown that Gus has a tendency of hiding behind Gretchen when he gets scared. In "Soccer Boy", Gus was referred to as "friend of Smart Girl" and both he and Gretchen were picked to be the "royal score keepers".
Mikey is better friends with Gus than any of the other members. The two are often seen taking the same side on things (Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade" and "The Candidates"). They have offended each other occasionally ("The Break-up", "Germ Warfare") but were quick to forgive one another.
Foreign Voice Actors
- Dutch: Sander van der Poel
- Finish: Aapo Mustonen
- French: Elliot Weill
- German: Hannes Maurer
- Italian: Marinella Montanari
- Japanese: Shindo Kazuhiro (first half of series), Yuta Takihara (second half of series)
- Polish: Jonasz Tolopilo
- Swedish: Tin Carlsson
- He has appeared in every episode except "The Break In" and "The Great Jungle Gym Standoff".
- A running gag is that Gus always goes to the bathroom at the wrong time.
- Gus has got detention for every day till sixth Grade because he trapped Finster in a cage during the episode Gus' Fortune.
- His estimated future height is 6'4".
- Unlike the other main characters, Gus debuts in the second episode.
- It is likely that his middle name, Patton, was named for an M60 Patton tank his father drove since he is in the military. The tank itself is named after General George S. Patton, the general best known for his leadership while commanding corps and armies as a general during World War II.
- His favorite winter vegetable is Pickle Beets.
- Gus was absent in the pilot episode, but was seen in the earliest drawings of the cast. It's implied that he was added to the cast, dropped, and was added back in.
- In early recordings and comics of the German dub, Gus was named Paul. This was later corrected.
- Gus has a slightly different character design than the rest of the main six, as he has black dots for eyes rather than white circles with pupils like the others. Library Kid, Becky Benson, and Scribe Kid use similar designs.
- Gus has the third most number of episodes focused on him, with Mikey in second and T.J. in first.
- In the first recording for "The New Kid ", Gus was voiced by Ryan O'Donohue . After it was recorded, Courtland Mead dubbed over his lines.
- In certain episodes, Gus's last name is spelt "Griswold".
- Due to his dad being in the military, Gus can idenitfy any plane/military vehicles when he sees it.
- Gus has been to 12 schools in the last 6 years of his life.
- Gus has a pet snake named Herbert.
- Gus was the only character of the recess gang to not be zapped by Lax.
- His pee wee pal was Hector.
|The Recess Wiki has a collection of images about Gus Griswald|