|Season 04, Episode 05|
|Air Date||September 19, 1999|
|Previous||The Spy Who Came In from the Playground|
After witnessing Gelman terrorise another kid for his lunch money Gus tells the gang that he wants to put an end to his terror by building a trap he calls the 'Gelmanator 2000'. Although the others see this as a device that could work, Gus notes that he wouldn't have the courage to use this. At that moment a fortune telling device lands in the playground. The others are eager to use it but are warned by Butch about the consequences of using a fortune teller they haven't made. Spinelli ignores Butch's warning and uses the device and it tells her to expect “great riches”. She persuades the others to give the fortune teller a try. T.J. takes it and the device predicts that he will do well in a test. Gretchen takes it next and is told that she will go on a trip. Gus then takes it and is told he will die the next day. The others reassure Gus telling him that they believe any of the fortunes coming true is unlikely.
The fortunes, however, seem to come true. T.J. gets 101% in a test. Spinelli finds a $50 bill on the bottom of her boot and an annoyed Principal Prickly gives Gretchen a telegram sent to his office: she has won a trip to the Galápagos Islands for scientific study. This worries Gus and he begins to take precautions by dressing up in protective clothing and refusing to eat his food in case it is poisoned. Gus even begins worrying over small things such as paper cuts, worried that he would bleed to death. He then realises he should calm down and accepts his destiny. He gives his friends a list of his possessions that they can have when he dies.
Gus seeks advice from the Guru Kid who tells him to fill his remaining time by achieving something great. Gus walks away wondering what he could do before noticing Gelman bully a younger kid and realise that he should build his trap.
The rest of the gang find him the next day building the 'Gelmanator 2000'. He misses class to keep building it. At class Miss Grotke informs T.J. that a mistake was made when his test was marked and he actually got 10.1% (though he notes that's better than his usual grade). Spinelli then finds out that the fifty dollar bill she found belongs to Ashley A, who can prove it because she knows its serial number, and has to give it back to her. Gretchen finds out from Principal Prickly through another telegram that she can't go to the Galápagos Islands because being nine, she is too young and legally can't accept it. The gang realise that none of the fortunes actually came true. At recess they try and tell Gus not to deploy his trap but they are too late. Gus sees Gelman and lures him into his trap, however at the last moment Ms. Finster comes between them, accidentally triggering the trap and gets caught. Gelman is traumatised by the fact he nearly got caught in the trap and stops bullying people.
The gang destroy the fortune teller and tell Gus that they're glad it wasn't his last day. However Gus mentions that it is his last day of going home on time after getting detention from Miss Finster that will last until he is in the sixth grade.
1) You will take a trip to an exotic land.
4) You will pass your greatest test with flying colours.
5) Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow is your final day.
7) Great riches will soon be yours.
- According to this episode, T.J. is supposedly failing in class. When Miss Grotke gives him his test back with a 10.1% score (out of 100%), he mentions that it's one of his better grades, hinting that he does even worse. Vince also says to everyone that it's impossible for T.J. to ace a test.
- Mikey and Vince never got their turn with the fortune teller.
- The fortune teller came from a boat called 'Strange Destiny'.
- The serial number on the fifty dollar bill Spinelli finds is 856284247765.
- This episode was paired up with "The First Picture Show" outside the US.
- The is the second episode where stinky Peterson was mentioned.
- T.J. Detweiler - Andrew Lawrence
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster - April Winchell
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Principal Prickly - Dabney Coleman
- Guru Kid - Klee Bragger
- Butch - Kath Soucie
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAfee
- Gelman - Justin Shenkarow
- Stinky Peterson/Kid #1 - Sam Gifaldi